Lateness Policy & Procedure
An effective tardy policy is essential to establishing and sustaining an orderly learning environment.
Late to Class
Students are expected to be in class and ready to begin work when the class late bell sounds.
Closed/Lock-out Door Policy
Effective Monday September 18th, 2023 the classroom doors are closed when the bell rings. The closed door policy is designed to accomplish the following:
- Establish and enforce clear, consistent expectations for students.
- Minimize classroom interruptions for students who have shown up on time and prepared for class.
- Keeping teachers from having to choose whether or not to spend instruction time reprimanding students who are late.
- Once the final late bell has sounded, teachers are instructed to close and lock their classroom doors and begin teaching.
- All late students will wait for their teacher to open the door, sign the LATE log and take a seat to work on a Do Now activity.
- Name of Student
- Time of Arrival
- Reason for lateness
- Outcome by Teacher
Discipline Cycle for Lateness
Progressive discipline is a proven method for managing tardiness. Listed below is the progressive discipline cycle for lateness to both school and class:
- 1st tardy: Warning
- 2nd tardy: Call Parent/Guardian
- 3rd tardy: Administrative Detention (No detention without parental contact)
- 4th tardy: Refer to your Assistant Principal for a disciplinary meeting via email
The goal is to ensure that students know that it is not okay to be late and that poor decisions have consequences.
If the student is absent for 2 or more days, call home and record it in ClassHub (GAM).